Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My List...

My List of the 7 Greatest Computer Games of All Time.

Before I begin. I must step back and claim, this is my list, you can have yours. This is not a list of the most popular games, most graphicly intense, longest, or any other arbitrary parameter. I have only included Computer Games in my list. I know full well, the unbelievable titles that populate the Console universe, and the arcade scene well before it. I needed to limit myself. I honestly had to add 2 spots to a Top 5 list even with the self imposed limitation. One last note, where ever possible i give credit to the first incarnation of a game(or the incarnation that broke the game into my eyes).

Without further ado...on with the list.

7 - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - As mentioned above I did have to expand my list to seven. I felt it would be very heinous of me to leave out a Simulator style game. seeing that Console and Arcade games never have yet been able to compare with what the computer game has done. I chose this over a normal flight simulator simply because of the game aspect. It and its sequals have done much to bring Simulators the Gaming side they have lacked.

6 - Sim City - The first major Simulator Builder. along wiht its many sequals it has opened new areas of explorationi in many other game genres. the atonomy systems created for this game led to many more advanced games.(including the one at my No. 2). As well as being the Deadbeat Dad of the Real Time Strategy genre.

5 - Everquest - This is one of the games that nearly got removed from the list. Being the only game on the list i never played(although i lived its sequal) This was the first major MMORPG. This was the game that opened the door for Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft and the countless other that have come and gone. and have yet to come.

4 - Starcraft - As Real Time Stratagy goes. this was the first i ever say the flipped the book. Every RTS i played before it would have multiple playable races, but in the end they all felt the same. In Starcraft the three races were not the same, they were actually all very different, in style, and in function.

3 - Myst - Not much i can say about this game other than Beautiful, Thought Provoking, Amazing. If Game Creation was ever considered an art form, this one belongs in The Louvre.

2 - The Sims - You probably guessed this one after No. 6. This game took the atonomy systems derived from SimCity and the other SimBuilders and Went way outside the box.

and My Number 1 greatest computer game of all time is.

Zork - This text based game was the first game that opened my eyes to computer gaming. It basicly was a choose your own adventure book on the computer, but the detail the creators went to was amazing. I firmly believe this game made way for Multitudes of games after it. From Action/Adventure Games to Platformers to First person Shooters to Free-Roam Games. There is no game that competes with it on this list.

No comments: